The new season starts on June 28 and will have 22 matches played across 18 days at Kinrara Oval
The Global T20 Canada is set to return this year, but due to logistical challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic in North America, the six-team tournament will be held in Malaysia between June 28 and July 15.
The inaugural edition of the tournament was held in 2018, but the it’s continuity was disrupted in the 2020 season due to the pandemic.
The new season will have 22 matches played across 18 days at Kinrara Oval – the only internationally recognised stadium in the country, having previously hosted the Under-19 World Cup in 2008 and also staged various junior-level cricket tournaments for the Asian Cricket Council as well as the ICC. In 2006, the stadium also hosted a triangular ODI series involving Australia, India and West Indies.
The first two editions of the Global T20 included numerous stars such as Chris Gayle, Lasith Malinga, Kieron Pollard, Andre Russell, Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Malik, David Warner, Steve Smith and Brendon McCullum.
As many as 10 international cricketers from Full and Associate Members are allowed into the roster. Two players will be picked as marquees, while six players must be included from the Canada national circuit, including three emerging cricketers as well as one player from Malaysia.
“Cricketers and fans of cricket in Canada would be disappointed to know that the third edition of our world-class tournament – GT20 Canada, cannot be held in Canada this year, due to the ongoing pandemic and the Canadian health guidelines,” Rashpal Bajwa, President Cricket Canada, said.
“We understand and support our health authorities. We are very positive and look forward to hosting the tournament in Canada once we are past this pandemic.”
The league is owned and managed by Bombay Sports Co Limited in partnership with Cricket Canada. The organisers are presently in liaison with Malaysian Cricket to get the relevant approvals from the government agencies and the ICC.
“I am not only delighted but given the many setbacks and adversities we faced over the past year, I am truly humbled that Malaysia is the choice venue for the GT20 tournament. However, far more importantly, that we are in a position to step up for Canada Cricket so as to ensure the continuity of the GT20 tournament,” Mahinda Vallipuram, President of Malaysian Cricket Association, said.
“Doubtless, this tournament will also give our players exponential growth experience in their game. I must acknowledge the Malaysian government in this instance, for managing the pandemic well, and we at Malaysian Cricket are continually committed to ensuring the safety of the players and officials at all times.”
On Wednesday, Malaysia reported 1139 new Covid-19 cases with the total number of confirmed infections in the country rising to 354468.
Umar Farooq is ESPNcricinfo’s Pakistan correspondent
Marnus Labuschagne to miss white-ball tour of the West Indies
Australian batter “deeply upset to miss out due to circumstances beyond anyone’s control,” says Trevor Hohns
Marnus Labuschagne is missing from the Australia limited-overs squad for a tour of the West Indies starting next month, after it was decided he would play out his current county stint with Glamorgan instead.
A vast preliminary squad for the tour – which may still theoretically be followed by a trip to Bangladesh for more white-ball matches – includes the likes of Matthew Wade, D’Arcy Short, Marcus Stoinis and Mitchell Swepson, all of whom missed out on Cricket Australia contracts in the annual list.
“Anyone who knows Marnus understands he would give absolutely anything to play for Australia and he is deeply upset to miss out due to circumstances beyond anyone’s control,” selection chairman Trevor Hohns said. “We worked through numerous options in conversations with Marnus to find a workable solution but ultimately came to the conclusion it was more practical for him to remain in the UK.
“Had we not been in the middle of a global pandemic, Marnus would be on this tour as a well-established member and important part of the one-day side. It’s an unfortunate circumstance of the many challenges the world is facing right now. As it stands, Marnus has the opportunity to continue in county cricket and T20 games with Glamorgan as we head into the World Cup and home summer.”
Daniel Sams, who was part of Australia’s squad for the recent limited-overs tour of New Zealand but then endured an unhappy time during the IPL where he tested positive for Covid-19 before the tournament, which was then cut short by India’s spate of outbreaks, asked not to be considered for the trip because of personal and mental health reasons.
Ben Oliver, the head of national teams, said that while discussions about the Bangladesh phase of the tour were continuing, the squad had been cleared to receive vaccinations before their departure in line with those being afforded to Australia’s Olympic team scheduled to compete in Tokyo later this year.
“It was great to see our Olympians receiving their vaccination shots ahead of the Tokyo Games and we are working through logistics for the Australian men’s team with the relevant agencies.” Oliver said. “We will comply with all government directives in relation to vaccinations and international travel.
“The Australian men’s team has completed successful tours of England and New Zealand during the pandemic, including the accompanying quarantine periods, and we are hopeful of being able to travel to Bangladesh at the completion of the West Indies tour. Those discussions are progressing well and updates will be provided in due course.”
Australia are scheduled to play five T20Is in St Lucia and three ODIs in Barbados between July 9 and July 24, their tour sandwiched between tours of the Caribbean by South Africa and Pakistan.
Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. @danbrettig
Eng vs NZ 2021 – Majority of New Zealand Test contingent arrives in UK
All contingent members will spend the first three days in hotel room isolation in Southampton
The majority of the New Zealand Test contingent landed in London on Sunday after flying from Auckland via Singapore, for their tour of two Tests against the hosts and the World Test Championship final against India next month. The players and support staff were transferred from the London airport to the Ageas Bowl in Southampton, their base for the first two weeks of the tour.
An NZC release stated the squad is “adhering to strict health protocols”, starting with pre-departure vaccinations and Covid-19 tests, in the wake of the pandemic.
“While in England, they will operate in a ‘controlled team environment’ to limit outside contact and risk of transmission,” the release said. “All tour members will complete a daily self-reported health screening as well as undergoing regular covid testing.”
All contingent members will spend the first three days in hotel room isolation before “mini training groups” of six can be formed from days four to six, pending negative Covid-test results.
Tim Southee, BJ Watling, Ross Taylor and Neil Wagner will depart Auckland on Monday afternoon New Zealand time to join the squad in Southampton.
A few players and support staff members who participated in the truncated IPL in India had earlier flown to the Maldives and will arrive in the UK on Monday, local time. This group includes captain Kane Williamson, Kyle Jamieson, Mitchell Santner, team physio Tommy Simsek and trainer Chris Donaldson.
Batter Will Young, who scored back-to-back centuries for Durham in his month-long County Championship stint recently, will also join the squad on Monday and undergo isolation at the Ageas Bowl before he can start training with his team-mates.
The squad members are scheduled to play a three-day intra-squad game from May 26 to 28 at the Ageas Bowl, where six local bowlers have also isolated in advance to help make up the sides.
Fast bowler Trent Boult is still in New Zealand and will fly to Mount Maunganui to see his family before “a plan is made around his departure to the UK”. He could miss both the Tests against England but will be available for the WTC final.
The Test series against England will begin on June 2 at Lord’s followed by the second game starting June 10 at Edgbaston. New Zealand will then take on India in the WTC final from June 18 in Southampton.
Recent Match Report – Durham vs Worcs Group 1 2021
Seamer overtakes Onions as Worcestershire are overwhelmed on final day
Durham 246 (Lees 99, Tongue 5-39) and 389 for 5 dec (Young 103, Burnham 102*) beat Worcestershire 213 (Fell 44, Leach 42*, Rushworth 5-56) and 164 (Mitchell 62, Rushworth 4-52) by 258 runs
Chris Rushworth orchestrated a brilliant 258-run win for Durham in their LV= Insurance County Championship clash against Worcestershire, on the day he became the county’s all-time leading first-class wicket taker.
Rushworth claimed his 528th first-class wicket for the club by removing Jack Haynes, breaking his tie with Graham Onions that he matched in the first innings. The 34-year-old notched figures of 4 for 52, while Mark Wood and Brydon Carse were equally impressive with three and two wickets apiece, to dismiss the visitors for 164.
The emphatic victory moves Durham into second place in Group One in the County Championship, three points behind Essex. Worcestershire lost their first game of the season, but they remain in fourth place despite their crushing defeat.
Rain prevented play in the first hour of the day, but Daryl Mitchell quickly found his rhythm to pass fifty for the third time this season. Rushworth almost secured his record-breaking scalp when Jake Libby clipped a stroke towards mid-wicket. Jack Burnham attempted to corral the ball, but he could not hang on with a diving effort.
Wood turned to short-pitch bowling to make the breakthrough, hitting the glove of Mitchell, which forced the opener to require treatment. The following delivery Wood went short again, and this time Mitchell fended straight to short leg.
Carse made an immediate impact with his first delivery of the day, pinning Tom Fell lbw for 1. It could have been better for Durham in the first hour, but David Bedingham dropped a routine catch at first slip after Ben Raine found Libby’s outside edge.
However, Bedingham atoned for his error to hand Rushworth his record-breaking scalp, collecting a low edge from Haynes to take the seamer clear of Onions. The wicket prompted emotional scenes among his team-mates and a salute to his dad in the Emirates Riverside car park.
“I could not be any prouder, especially with my dad in the car park as well,” Rushworth said afterwards. “I was very emotional, I don’t think I’ve ever been as emotional as that on a cricket pitch. I’ve played in Lord’s finals and a Championship win, but that tops the lot.
“It has been on my mind and you could probably tell with the spells on Saturday night and Sunday morning. Other milestones have not entered my mind before, but because this one was so big and it has been close for a while, it was getting to me. To get it done, I can get back to bowling without worrying and winning more games for Durham.”
Despite the catch to break the record, Durham’s problems in the slips continued as Scott Borthwick put down Brett D’Oliveira off Wood, but the England man returned to prise out the batsman in his next over.
Durham smelled blood in the water, and Rushworth jagged a delivery back into Riki Wessels to pin him lbw. Wood performed the same feat to end Libby’s stubborn resistance for 36. Ed Barnard continued the procession and was powerless as he feathered an edge behind from a fine Carse delivery, leaving the visitors seven down.
After the tea break, Rushworth allowed the home side to close in on their second win of the campaign. He was on the mark to dismiss Joe Leach and Ben Cox lbw, displaying pinpoint accuracy. Borthwick claimed the final wicket to wrap a hugely impressive win for his side to put forward their credentials for the County Championship.
“We were outplayed by a better team this week,” Worcestershire coach Alex Gidman said. “They played a lot better than us in their home conditions and we have to take it on the chin.
“We were going to lose a game at some stage and this week Durham were a better team than us. We didn’t play good enough cricket over the four days. Their bowling attack is as good as we’ve seen this season. The lads are disappointed that we didn’t perform well enough in this game, but we’ll support them to the hilt.”
NFL5 days ago
Allegiant Stadium’s Wynn Field Club brings Las Vegas club, DJ experience to Raiders games
Soccer6 days ago
Ian Wright sends message to Stan Kroenke amid 'massive concern' over two Arsenal players
Soccer7 days ago
Arsenal star Emile Smith Rowe picks out two Bukayo Saka qualities after West Brom win
Soccer6 days ago
Premier League games set for crowds of 10,000 as government decision confirmed
Soccer4 days ago
Zinedine Zidane to quit Real Madrid as Florentino Perez identifies two replacements
Soccer3 days ago
EPL news 2021, Championship play offs final, Barnsley vs Bournemouth, Moneyball, Billy Beane, Premier League, latest
Soccer3 days ago
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer blames Man Utd stars for creating 'own downfall' in Liverpool loss
Motorsport5 days ago
Lewis Hamilton puts heat on Red Bull rear wing, Mercedes, new FIA testing