Connect with us

SAN DIEGO — Former NFL player Kellen Winslow II was sentenced Wednesday to 14 years in prison for multiple rapes and other sexual offenses against five women in Southern California, including one who was homeless when he attacked her in 2018.

The 37-year-old son of Chargers Hall of Fame receiver Kellen Winslow appeared via videoconference at the hearing in San Diego Superior Court in Vista, California.

Winslow II declined to comment before his sentence, saying his lawyers had advised him not to speak.

San Diego County Superior Court Judge Blaine Bowman said Winslow can only be described with “two words, and that is sexual predator.” Bowman said Winslow selected women who were vulnerable because of their age or their living situation with the idea that “hopefully he would get away with it in his mind.”

Winslow was once the highest-paid tight end in the NFL, earning more than $40 million over his 10 seasons before he left in 2013.

He was convicted of forcible rape, rape of an unconscious person, assault with intent to commit rape, indecent exposure, and lewd conduct in public. The forcible rape involved a woman who was homeless in his home town of Encinitas, a beach community north of San Diego.

The 14-year-sentence was the maximum allowed under a plea deal.

His attorney Marc Carlos said Winslow suffered from head trauma from the many blows to his head playing football, which can only explain why he “went off the rails” going from a star athlete to a convicted sexual predator.

Carlos said his client has accepted responsibility and intends to get help.

Jurors also convicted him of two misdemeanors — indecent exposure and a lewd act in public — involving two other women.

But that jury failed to agree on other charges, including the alleged 2018 rape of a 54-year-old hitchhiker, and the 2003 rape of an unconscious 17-year-old high school senior who went to a party with him when he was 19.

Before he was retried on those charges, he pleaded guilty to raping the teen and sexual battery of the hitchhiker.

The father of two, whose wife filed for divorce after he was convicted, had faced up to 18 years in prison for all the charges. Both sides agreed to reduce the sexual battery charge to assault with intent to commit rape last month. That reduced the maximum sentence to 14 years.

Winslow was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in 2004 and spent four seasons with the team, being named to the Pro Bowl in 2007. He also played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New England Patriots and New York Jets. His last NFL season was in 2013.

Source link

NFL

Carolina Panthers, A.J. Bouye agree to contract

Published

on

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Carolina Panthers on Wednesday agreed to a deal with free-agent cornerback A.J. Bouye as they attempt to improve their secondary heading into this month’s NFL draft.

Bouye, a Pro Bowler in 2017, will be suspended for the first two games of the 2021 season as part of a six-game ban he received last year for violations of the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

He will be allowed to participate in offseason and preseason practices, according to the league.

Carolina signed 10-year veteran corner Rashaan Melvin to a one-year deal earlier in free agency.

Bouye, 29, was released by Denver in February after appearing in only seven games due to injuries and the suspension. He was traded to the Broncos from Jacksonville in March 2020, after being a big part of the Jaguars’ run to the AFC Championship Game in the 2017 season.

Bouye entered the NFL in 2013 with Houston as an undrafted free agent. He played well enough that he received a five-year, $67.5 million deal with Jacksonville in 2017.

He had six interceptions that season in 16 starts. He has only two picks since, and had none for Denver last year. In 69 career starts, he has 14 interceptions overall.

Bouye likely will be penciled in as the starter in Carolina opposite Donte Jackson, who is in the last year of his rookie deal.

The former Central Florida standout will compete with Melvin, likely on the right side.

The addition of Bouye lessens the urgency to use the No. 8 pick of the draft on a corner. The team eliminated the necessity to draft a quarterback on Monday after trading with the New York Jets for Sam Darnold, but general manager Scott Fitterer said that doesn’t totally precluded using the eighth pick on that position.

“What we wanted to do going into this draft through free agency, through this trade with Sam, was to just get rid of all the needs we have,” Fitterer said Monday. “We wanted to get to a place where the roster was in a good spot, and we could take the best player at No. 8.”

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Ohio State’s Justin Fields set for 2nd pro day; San Francisco 49ers expected to attend

Published

on

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Because of a scheduling conflict with another prominent pro day, San Francisco 49ers general manager John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan were unable to attend Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields‘ first pro day on March 30. Now, as Shanahan and Lynch hoped and expected, they will get another chance.

Ohio State is slated to have a second pro day on April 14, providing another opportunity for teams, including the Niners, to see Fields in person, a source told ESPN. The Athletic first reported Fields, who is in the conversation for the 49ers with the No. 3 overall pick, will be participating in the second pro day.

Shanahan and Lynch did not see Fields’ first pro day because they were in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, watching quarterback Mac Jones and the rest of the Crimson Tide’s group of NFL prospects. That was Jones’ second pro day after participating in one earlier in March.

Although assistant general manager Adam Peters, college scouting director Ethan Waugh and quarterbacks coach Rich Scangarello represented the Niners in Columbus for Fields’ first pro day, Shanahan indicated there would be a second opportunity for him to see Fields in person and that the details were being worked out.

“Alabama has already had one, this is their second one. And just talking with Fields’ agent and everything, we’ll get another one from him, too,” Shanahan said on March 29. “So we’ll be able to see him, so that kind of made it an easy decision.”

Fields is one of the quarterbacks thought to be under consideration for the 49ers’ pick at No. 3 in this year’s NFL draft, along with the likes of Jones and North Dakota State’s Trey Lance.

At his first pro day, Fields put on an impressive performance, running the 40-yard dash in an unofficial time of 4.44 seconds and delivering accurate strikes on multiple deep throws.

“I think overall, I had a solid day,” Fields told reporters after that first workout. “Of course, as I think everybody knows, my goal in that 40-yard dash was to be at least in the 4.3s, so of course I’m kind of mad about that. But, you know, other than that, I thought I threw pretty well. I thought I just had a few missed throws but that happens. Not everybody is going to be perfect.”

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Philadelphia Eagles bolster defense with LB Eric Wilson, re-sign RB Jordan Howard

Published

on

PHILADELPHIA — The Eagles have signed linebacker Eric Wilson and running back Jordan Howard to one year deals, the team announced Wednesday.

Wilson, 26, was tied for the league lead among linebackers with three interceptions in 2020, and he also had three sacks and eight passes defended to go with 122 tackles in his breakout season.

He is the second former Vikings defensive player to be signed by the Eagles this offseason along with safety Anthony Harris. Defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon was a member of Minnesota’s coaching staff from 2014-17 — overlapping with Wilson for one year — and is expected to draw from coach Mike Zimmer’s system as he creates his own in Philadelphia.

Howard, 26, re-joined the Eagles last November after being waived by the Miami Dolphins. He was traded from the Chicago Bears to Philadelphia in 2019 and rushed for 525 yards and six touchdowns in 10 games before being slowed by injury. Howard will compete to be in the running back rotation along with Miles Sanders and Boston Scott.

Wilson’s rise with the Minnesota Vikings from undrafted free agent to special teams player to starting linebacker went into full effect in Week 2 of the 2020 season, when Anthony Barr exited with a torn pectoral muscle that required season-ending surgery.

From that point on, Wilson, who was previously the No. 3 linebacker, played 100% of the defensive snaps for the Vikings. He was the team’s only linebacker to play in every game last season.

At times, he struggled against the run, finishing with 20 missed tackles. His run defense grade of 38.3 was the lowest of any linebacker who played a minimum of 80% of the snaps last season, according to Pro Football Focus.

ESPN’s Courtney Cronin contributed to this report.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending