Connect with us

MLB

One player, three staff members on Cardinals test positive for coronavirus

Published

on

The St. Louis Cardinals have had one player and three staff members test positive for the coronavirus, while four more members of the organization have gotten inconclusive results, team president John Mozeliak said Saturday evening in a video conference call with reporters.

“We’re confident, by the time we get to Detroit on Monday, that we will have control of this,” Mozeliak said.

He said none of those who have tested positive have shown any symptoms and that two have returned to St. Louis from Milwaukee by car, while the other two will return soon.

The inconclusive tests include one player and three staff members. The Cardinals have been isolated from each other since arriving in Milwaukee for a three-game weekend series but all three games have been postponed. St. Louis is hopeful to know the results of their inconclusive tests by Sunday, then will travel to Detroit on Monday before playing a four-game series there.

Originally, that was scheduled to be a home-and-home series beginning on Monday but instead the Cardinals and Tigers will play all four games in Detroit with a doubleheader scheduled for Wednesday. The extra off day on Monday allows the Cardinals to do more testing and be sure they’ve stopped the spread.

“We’re buying time,” Mozeliak said.

The longtime Cardinals executive took umbrage with anyone outside of baseball attempting to track down the origin of the Cardinals outbreak.

“I find that rather sickening and annoying,” he stated. “We’re in a pandemic, the likelihood of where someone could have gotten this could be anywhere from a grocery store to a bar.”

Source link

MLB

Gerrit Cole posts 20th straight regular-season win as Yankees beat Red Sox

Published

on

NEW YORK — Gerrit Cole posted his 20th straight regular-season win over his last 27 starts dating to last season, becoming the sixth pitcher to ever reach the mark by throwing seven sharp innings to lead the New York Yankees over the Boston Red Sox 10-3 Friday night.

A noted Yankees fan growing up in Southern California, Cole (4-0) allowed one run and four hits in his first taste of the storied rivalry in front of empty seats. He struck out eight, walked none and threw 95 pitches.

Cole, who came within one strike of a win in his previous start before getting pulled, moved closer to the all-time record of 24 consecutive victories by Carl Hubbell in 1936-37. Roy Face is next at 22, followed by Roger Clemens, Jake Arrieta, Rube Marquard and Cole at 20 each.

Cole’s only defeat since May 2019 was in the World Series opener last year, when he pitched for Houston and lost to Washington.

The Yankees improved to 7-0 at home for the fourth time since 1959 (also 2017, 1998 and 1987). New York also beat Boston for the seventh straight time and is 12-1 at home against the Red Sox since the start of last season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Source link

Continue Reading

MLB

Nationals bring up prospect Luis Garcia, place Starlin Castro on IL

Published

on

BALTIMORE — The Washington Nationals are ready to find out if 20-year-old infielder Luis Garcia has the poise and talent to play in the big leagues.

The Nationals selected Garcia’s contract on Friday, a move that coincided with infielder Starlin Castro being placed on the 10-day injured list with a broken right wrist. Garcia was in the starting lineup for Washington, prepared to make his major league debut against the Orioles.

Garcia is considered to be one of the top prospects in the minor league system of the defending World Series champion Nationals. Signed as an undrafted free agent in 2016, the slick-fielding middle infielder has hit .281 with 51 doubles, 13 triples, 12 homers and 106 RBIs in 305 career minor league games.

In 2019, Garcia was named the Nationals’ minor league defensive player of the year with Double-A Harrisburg, where he played shortstop and second base. As a 19-year-old, he was the youngest player in the Eastern League.

Also on Friday, the Nationals transferred lefty Sam Freeman to the 60-day injured list with a left flexor mass strain.

Source link

Continue Reading

MLB

Cardinals manager Mike Shildt says team did nothing ‘egregious’ to cause outbreak

Published

on

As he prepares his team for a return to the playing field, St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Shildt is defending his players over any narrative that they did something “egregious” to cause the COVID-19 outbreak that has sidelined them since July 29.

“What I can tell you, with confidence, is it would be very irresponsible and a misstep to say this group went out and did anything that was egregious,” Shildt said Friday evening. “To say something otherwise, would be inaccurate. Strongly inaccurate.”

Shildt admits his team made smaller mistakes that led them twice to being quarantined, but he’s confident there won’t be any more starts and stops based on their behavior.

“We will be even more prudent with every regulation that is out there,” he said. “I don’t think you’ll have anyone touch anyone on the field the rest of this year. Our dugouts will be even more sterile. We’re going to show up later. Every meeting will be outside. It’s going to be very little time spent in the ballpark.

“I can confidently tell you there was no cavalier approach to this before this happened.”

The Cardinals will play three doubleheaders in Chicago in the coming days as they begin to play catch-up on their schedule. They’ve played just five games this season.

“You could say it’s a fourth chance,” Shildt said. “Spring training, summer camp, an initial quarantine, then another one.”

Out of an abundance of caution — and to keep their distance — each healthy player and staff member drove a rental car from St. Louis to Chicago on Friday.

The Cardinals will play the White Sox and then the Cubs over the next week, with doubleheaders scheduled for Saturday, Monday and Wednesday. To prepare, Shildt said players had individualized workouts beginning on Tuesday of this week but no one who tested positive for COVID-19 has been cleared to play again.

In all, 10 players and eight staff members tested positive. It forced the team to call up players from their alternate training site in Springfield, including top prospect Dylan Carlson. He’ll be in the starting lineup on Saturday. They also reworked their coaching staff by bringing back fan favorite Jose Oquendo to coach third base.

“This is history and we’re going to do our best to learn from others but candidly we’re making it right now,” Shildt stated.

The Cardinals will mix their regular starters in with bullpen days as Adam Wainwright will pitch in Game 1 on Saturday with several relievers taking the ball in Game 2. Dakota Hudson and Kwang-Hyun Kim will get their turns before ace Jack Flaherty sees action on Wednesday for the first time since Opening Day.

Near the end of a long video call with Shildt from his hotel room in Chicago, he was asked if there was ever a moment he thought the Cardinals would not play baseball again this year. “Full disclosure, I had two minute internal dialogue about it and shut it out,” he said.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending