Connect with us

MLB

Pitchers Max Meyer, Nick Vincent agree to terms with Miami Marlins

Published

on

MIAMI — No. 3 overall draft pick Max Meyer, a right-hander from the University of Minnesota, has agreed to terms with the Marlins and is expected to be added to the 60-man player pool this week.

Meyer has chance to pitch in the majors this year.

Right-handed reliever Nick Vincent, an eight-year veteran who pitched for the Giants and Phillies last year, also agreed to terms with the Marlins and will join the 60-man pool.

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports



Source link

MLB

Blue Jays’ Travis Shaw expresses concern about bubble isolation

Published

on

TORONTO — Blue Jays infielder Travis Shaw says he’s not interested in confining himself to the hotel attached to the Rogers Centre for the summer if major league baseball is granted an exemption from the Canadian government to play baseball in Toronto amid the pandemic.

The Blue Jays have created a quarantine environment at Rogers Centre and the adjoining Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel during training camp. The current exemption does not cover the regular season and player travel between the U.S. and Canada.

MLB requires an exemption as anyone entering Canada for nonessential reasons must self-isolate for 14 days. The U.S.-Canada border remains closed to nonessential travel until at least July 21, and that is widely expected to be extended.

Any exemption likely means the Blue Jays would not be allowed to leave the hotel attached to the Rogers Center when they play home games in the city.

“All summer isn’t gonna happen. Not an option,” Shaw tweeted Friday.

Players have not been allowed to leave the stadium and hotel since arriving for training camp earlier this month. Players are subject to a possible fines of $750,000 Canadian (US$551,000) and/or up to six months in jail if they leave the hotel and stadium.

“We were told two weeks… not all summer… all summer is a bit much,” Shaw also tweeted.

Shaw posted two additional tweets shortly after his initial tweet, but they were later deleted.

“1) Let me be clear. We are on board with the TWO week quarantine. I currently have a PAID for condo a block away from the stadium that I can’t use. At no point would I risk public safety or not follow rules. Is it wrong to want to live in a place that I’ve already paid for…″

He added: “2) to be able to go on a walk (WITH A MASK) to be able to get fresh air, walk to go get takeout food (not eat inside). We aren’t looking to party, hit the patios, go out at night, anything like that. Public safety is priority number 1….″

Former Blue Jays pitcher Marcus Stroman, who now plays for the New York Mets, tweeted that it isn’t “realistic” to ask Blue Jays players to self isolate in the hotel in Toronto during the season.

“I actually believe it’s the right thing to do. I’m just saying it doesn’t seem realistic. That’s all. I want all my BlueJays brothers happy and health always,” he tweeted.

Blue Jays President Mark Shapiro has said the team hopes to know by July 12 if it will be allowed to play in Toronto. The club’s training facility in Dunedin, Florida, also is an option.

Toronto will begin its 60-game schedule on July 24 at Tampa Bay, which is about 25 miles from Dunedin. The Blue Jays’ first home game is set for July 29.

“We’re here for spring camp. Nothing else has been decided. That’s all we know,” Toronto manager Charlie Montoyo said.

Montoyo said he feels safe in Toronto, and he’s grateful for the current exemption for training camp. “We’re going to follow all the guidelines,” he said.

A Blue Jays spokesperson said the team is continuing to work with the government on the regular season.

Shapiro has said the players prefer to be in Toronto over Florida. The number of COVID-19 cases is falling in Canada while cases are surging in the United States.

Multiple Blue Jays players initially didn’t make the trip to Toronto for training camp after one player tested positive for the coronavirus. Players who were in contact with the unnamed player remained in Florida for further testing. Montoyo said some players arrived Thursday night.

Shapiro has said visiting teams would not leave the confines of Rogers Centre and the hotel attached to the stadium if the regular season plan is approved.

“I wanna make it clear, we’re not asking for special treatment,″ Blue Jays outfielder Randal Grichuk tweeted Friday. “We understand that we need to stay in a ‘quarantine bubble’. We wanna make sure everyone is safe. The toughest part is them not allowing our family to come with us. That’s what makes it tough for a lot of guys.”



Source link

Continue Reading

MLB

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. to focus on 1B/DH for Toronto Blue Jays this season

Published

on

Young Blue Jays star Vladimir Guerrero Jr. will shift primarily to first base and designated hitter this season, Toronto manager Charlie Montoyo told reporters Friday.

Guerrero, 21, most played third base as a rookie in 2019.

“Vlad is going to focus on first base at this camp, and we’re going to keep his options open,” said Montoyo, who added that the team had been talking about the position switch since spring training.

Montoyo didn’t say it was a permanent move, only that Guerrero would focus on first base and designated hitter during camp, as well as during this shortened season. He didn’t rule out Guerrero playing some third base, too, after making 94 starts there last season.

Source link

Continue Reading

MLB

Fantasy baseball H2H categories mock draft reaction

Published

on

Even in a shortened season in which starting pitching workloads are in question during the opening weeks, it seems the position still warrants a draft-day premium. At least, that’s what the results of our head-to-head “each category” mock draft, held on Thursday, indicated.

Consensus No. 1 starting pitcher Gerrit Cole went third overall, ahead of Mike Trout, Cody Bellinger and Mookie Betts. A pair of starters went in the first round, and six of the first 19 picks overall were starting pitchers. Furthermore, 11 of the first 35 selections were starters, including Shane Bieber (31st overall) and Patrick Corbin (35th), as well as 14 of the first 47, adding Zack Greinke (44th), Blake Snell (45th) and Charlie Morton (47th). And in an unusual strategy for the format, AJ Mass selected starting pitchers back-to-back to open his draft, following up Cole with second-rounder Walker Buehler.

Compare that to my own rankings for the format, in which Cole is fifth, five starting pitchers are in the top 20, eight are within the top 35 and 12 are within the top 50 overall. Starting pitchers have also gone later on average in the NFBC (National Fantasy Baseball Championship) drafts that have taken place since the league announced its 2020 plans on June 23 than they did in our mock draft — and bear in mind that the NFBC is typically more aggressive at drafting the position than we advise for this particular ESPN format.

Perhaps this ties in with my own suggested strategy for approaching starting pitchers in head-to-head “each category” drafts, as well as in traditional rotisserie drafts. With teams more likely to piece together their pitching staffs at the back end, the aces might well warrant more of a premium than they might have had it been a typical season. It’s the mid-tier starters, not the aces, who should be faded in fantasy, and our results supported that, as only six of the next 47 selections — that’s picks 48-94 overall — were starting pitchers. Note that the top six ranked relief pitchers also were selected within that range.

My strategy for this mock specifically followed that path, as I selected Jacob deGrom ninth overall before waiting another 123 selections to dip back into the starting pitching pool. The Mets ace is a strong anchor for a fantasy staff, and the options available in the later rounds were plenty palatable. Frankie Montas, Kenta Maeda and Joe Musgrove, a trio of arms capable of top-25 seasons at the position, wound up as my Nos. 2, 3 and 4 starters in the mock. As long as you can find profitable pitchers in the middle rounds, it’s well worth following that strategy of taking your ace and then waiting. Remember, you can always fill some of the gaps using the streaming strategy.

Availability questions

As we’ve seen in each of our mocks this past week, players with availability questions, whether due to COVID-19 or otherwise, wound up slipping in the draft in this format. Trout, who went third overall in the traditional roto and ninth in the head-to-head points mocks, lasted until sixth here, going behind both Betts (fourth) and Bellinger (fifth).

Chatter within the mock continued to support the group belief that Trout will miss a minimum of a week’s time after his wife gives birth to their first child in the next month or so, but I maintain that I’d prefer any player who provides me the maximum per-game fantasy performance in a shortened season. That’s still the reason for my Trout ranking of first overall. I want ceilings, and I’ll fill the gaps around anyone’s prospective absences off the free-agent list, at least in daily transaction leagues.

Freddie Freeman, on the 10-day injured list as he recovers from COVID-19, went 27th overall. Zack Wheeler, who, like Trout, has a child on the way and could miss some time (if he doesn’t choose to sit out entirely) went 133rd overall. Teammate Hector Neris, who was placed on the 10-day IL for undisclosed reasons, slipped to 149th overall. Aaron Judge, who has spent most of 2020 recovering from a rib injury but is now expected to be ready around Opening Day, lasted until 59th overall after having been a top-50 pick overall in February/March.

Fading bad batting average

There was an apparent huge discount on middle-round batting average drains/all-or-nothing types. It’s an understandable strategy in a roto-based league but one that seemed to be taken to the extreme in this mock. Kyle Schwarber (88th overall selection), Jorge Soler (91st), Rhys Hoskins (119th), Khris Davis (155th) and Joc Pederson (167th) were all players who went at least 10 spots later than the indicated rankings for this format. Those who built up a strong batting average base in the early rounds could have scooped up any of them at a discount and been better able to absorb a potential sub-.260 number in the category.

However, it was two youngsters who seemed to go awfully late. Eloy Jimenez (67th overall) went 22 spots behind his ranking number and more than 10 spots behind his NFBC ADP, while Cavan Biggio (197th) went 64 spots beneath his ranking — and an even larger margin when compared to the NFBC. Both players ranked among the biggest bargains in the draft, although contrasting this draft to other mocks, these were probably just outliers.

Here come the kids

Rookies have had a greater impact in fantasy baseball in recent years than in the more distant past, and in this shortened season with limited available player pools, the temptation to chase prospects is ever greater. Teams might be more apt to promote their top prospects in a sprint to the 2020 playoffs, and in this particular mock, a few teams took the plunge on multiple such youngsters.

Eric Karabell spent the 190th overall pick (19th rounder) on flamethrowing Toronto Blue Jays prospect Nate Pearson, bookending him with San Diego Padres lefty MacKenzie Gore with pick No. 191. On the hitting side, he added Dylan Carlson in the 23rd round (pick 230).

AJ Mass spent three of his final six picks on prospects with no major league experience to date: Wander Franco of the Tampa Bay Rays, the top prospect in baseball, with pick No. 198; power-hitting Los Angeles Angels outfielder Jo Adell with pick No. 238; and Detroit Tigers right-hander Casey Mize with pick No. 243.

Especially with 13 days remaining before Opening Day, meaning some roles have yet to crystallize, it makes quite a bit of sense to spend your final-round picks — in any format — on high-ceiling players, knowing that there might be a larger pool of free-agent pickups during the regular season’s opening days. Taking a player who might not even be on the Opening Day roster gives you a chance at striking gold — think of Fernando Tatis Jr. at the onset of 2019 — but it also causes you to be less attached to the player if he doesn’t make the cut. Remember, you’ll need players to shed in order to make free-agent pickups in the early weeks, and the worst-case scenario with these examples is that you simply replace them come July 24 if they don’t make the team

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending