The directives put in place at the city and state levels last week allowed for the continuation of commercial construction, though it’s a fluid situation.
There remains the possibility that fewer exceptions to the stay-at-home orders are granted in response to the growing pandemic, which could postpone the Inglewood project and the renovation of Los Angeles’ Dodger Stadium, construction for which also continues.
“We’re going to do whatever we need to do to save lives,” Alex Comisar, a spokesman for L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti, said Wednesday. “We’ll continue to take direction from public health experts from the county and the [Center for Disease Control and Prevention] to determine what policies need to be put into place. With any activity that’s going on, we expect folks to take into account proper social distancing.”
In a statement released Friday, representatives for SoFi Stadium said construction “continues moving forward with an increased emphasis on already existing elevated health and safety protocols.”
SoFi Stadium, a revolutionary indoor-outdoor venue that will sit at the center of a 298-acre development, was deemed 85-percent complete around late January and is still expected to open with Taylor Swift concerts July 25 and 26. All non-essential employees are working from home, while job-site personnel are working with their general contractors to increase health and safety protocols, according to stadium representatives.
In a conversation posted to YouTube by the Dodgers on Tuesday, team president Stan Kasten said construction workers at Dodger Stadium are “fully compliant with all of the regulations of the county, city and state, as well as the CDC and [World Health Organization]. All of those things are super important to all of us. But consistent with all of that guidance, the work is continuing.”
The Dodgers are undertaking a $100 million renovation that will include a two-acre center-field plaza, upgraded outfield pavilions, a new sound system and a series of elevators and escalators that will provide a 360-degree connection around the park’s perimeter. Field-facing renovations are complete, Kasten said. In recent days, construction has slowed and fewer workers have been onsite at times, a function of both the season being delayed and nationwide protocols to combat coronavirus.
SoFi Stadium is set to host the Rams and Chargers over the final five months of the 2020 calendar year, then stage the Super Bowl in February of 2022. But stricter restrictions by the state of California, L.A. County or the city of Inglewood could shut down construction and force both teams to scramble for temporary homes for the fall. The project had already been delayed a year due to heavy rainfall in early 2017.
On March 17, a day after the L.A. County health officer prohibited gatherings of 50 or more people, the State Building and Construction Trade Council of California sent a memo to its affiliates providing safety measures that included adding sanitary facilities, bringing food from home, maintaining separation of at least six feet and performing deep cleanings on jobsites. The memo stated: “If these guidelines cannot be met and a project is in tight quarters, consideration should be given to shutting the construction project down until safer conditions exist.”
Tyrod Taylor front-runner to be Chargers’ starting QB, Anthony Lynn says
At least for now.
“I brought him in last year and I knew that if we needed him to start, if something happened to Phil, then he could go in and start,” Lynn said about Taylor, who is entering the second season of a two-year, $11 million contract. “I’m very familiar with Tyrod. I would say right now it looks like he’s in the driver’s seat, but no position is final until we get to training camp right now.”
Taylor has mostly served as an NFL backup, except for a three-year run as starter for the Buffalo Bills, where he completed 63% of his passes and threw 51 touchdowns, with 16 interceptions. He also rushed for 1,575 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Lynn praised Newton’s ability on Wednesday, after initially avoiding a question about the Chargers’ interest in the three-time Pro Bowl selection.
“Cam’s a good quarterback, he’s done a lot of good things with the Panthers, led them to a Super Bowl,” Lynn said. “He’s had some injuries. If he’s healthy, he’s going to be a good quarterback for somebody.”
When asked directly if the Chargers had interest in Newton, Lynn said, “We’re looking at everybody. I want to turn over every single rock, so yeah, we’re looking at everybody.”
A nine-year NFL veteran, Newton led the Panthers to the Super Bowl in the 2015 season and was named the NFL MVP. However, Newton has recently dealt with shoulder and foot injuries.
The Chargers also could look to the NFL draft later this month to find their future franchise quarterback.
The Chargers own the sixth overall pick, and while they are unlikely to have the opportunity to select top QB prospects Joe Burrow or Tua Tagovailoa, there are several other prospects who are projected to have promising futures, including Justin Herbert, Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason, Jordan Love and Jalen Hurts.
Saints set up draft headquarters in brewery
So they turned to their draught headquarters.
The Saints have set up shop in the brand new Dixie Brewing Company facility in New Orleans East, which is also owned by team owner Gayle Benson — and is closed to the public for the time being. Saints coach Sean Payton said the team is prepared to stay at the brewery through the draft on April 23-25 if needed.
Payton said staff members are following all CDC guidelines, with only about 6-7 people on site and spread out from each other in a big board room, including Payton, general manager Mickey Loomis and assistant general manager Jeff Ireland. Each day, everyone takes their temperature upon arrival.
Everyone else joins the discussions via video conference, including scouts and position coaches as needed.
“This facility is fantastic,” Payton said. “There’s no one out here. We have our board set up, we’ve got seven monitors. … We’re certainly distanced away from each other. There’s plenty of space. And then the monitors have all the scouts and everyone else, so the total people (involved) in the meeting might be 20.”
Payton, who was diagnosed with coronavirus two weeks ago before being cleared last week, joked that, “I’m kind of like the guy they all want to sit away from.” But he said now that he has already had the virus, “I’m like, ‘Look, I’m the safest guy in the room here.'”
The Saints also considered using space at the Benson Tower office building downtown but liked both the space available and the remote location at Dixie Brewing.
The Saints have also been holding “virtual meetings” with many draft prospects over video chats in lieu of pro days.
“Anyone we didn’t get completely at the combine or had follow-up work to do,” Payton said.
But Payton did admit that it will be tougher for teams to evaluate players who had injury or character question marks.
“There’s probably more unchecked boxes this year for teams than normal because that month of March after the combine was eliminated. But, look, that’s part of the deal,” Payton said. “In the normal schedule you might fly that player in and investigate the data a little bit more, the injury a little bit more. If it was a character concern, you might bring that player in or go to the school and spend more time. … You may not be able to clarify or clean up some of the question marks that you normally would in each year.
“So how do we philosophically then approach the draft this year? I think it’s a great question. You might be more conservative relative to aversion to taking a risk if you don’t have the information you’re looking for.”
As for getting treatment for injured players and getting new players acclimated to the playbook, Payton said most of that has been normal so far, with players still having access to the training staff or choosing to be treated elsewhere if desired. If the quarantine continues into the summer, Payton said it would be reminiscent of the 2011 lockout – and that he is confident players will be diligent in those areas even when they’re away from the team facility.
“A lot of it will be done either via the mail, via the phone, and we’ll get those players up to speed as quickly as possible once we’re together,” Payton said. “These are all paid professionals. These guys are all going to understand the importance of taking care of their body. Certainly it’s easier when they’re at your facility, but clearly, with where we’re at today, most all of them are at home with their families where they should be. …
“I think one of the things we do well is adjust. Whether a schedule changes and all of a sudden you’re playing at a different time, you’re having to play over in London, maybe there’s a hurricane that forces you out of the city for a week. No different than any one of those things, albeit on a larger scale — this is certainly at a large scale. We’ll adjust accordingly and get the information to our players, and then plan accordingly.”
Sources — Jadeveon Clowney drops asking price to $17M-$18M
The asking price for free-agent defensive end Jadeveon Clowney has dropped at least $2 million off the more than $20 million per season that he had been seeking, sources told ESPN’s Dianna Russini on Wednesday.
Clowney is now seeking a number closer to $17 million to $18 million, and the Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans remain “interested” in signing the three-time Pro Bowl selection, sources told ESPN.
Titans general manager Jon Robinson said Wednesday that the team has been in touch with Clowney’s agents.
Clowney, who was traded from the Houston Texans to Seattle prior to the 2019 season, made an impact for the Seahawks. While he only had three sacks in 13 regular-season games, Clowney was consistently Seattle’s most disruptive defensive lineman and two defensive touchdowns. He added 1.5 sacks in Seattle’s two playoff games.
The 27-year-old Clowney suffered a core muscle injury in Week 10 and elected to postpone surgery until the offseason. That left him playing in pain for most of the second half of the season. The injury sidelined him for two games; he missed a third game with the flu.
ESPN’s Brady Henderson contributed to this report.
Football news: Ronaldo, coronavirus lockdown; Juventus star shows off ripped body
Coronavirus: Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev postponement decision to be made this week
Tyrod Taylor front-runner to be Chargers’ starting QB, Anthony Lynn says
Liverpool have a 'really good chance' of beating Man Utd to Jadon Sancho signing
Saints set up draft headquarters in brewery
Man Utd chief Ed Woodward makes Erling Haaland transfer decision as Real Madrid hatch plan
Shin-Soo Choo donating funds to Rangers minor leaguers
Premier League release fresh statement with decision to be made on when season restarts
Tottenham transfer target insists Jose Mourinho has 'everything to gain' with investment
Carl Froch gives Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury prediction and makes Deontay Wilder claim
NFL2 days ago
New Raven Calais Campbell’s biggest challenge is battling age – Baltimore Ravens Blog
Soccer6 days ago
Man Utd plot gesture to convince Jadon Sancho to snub Chelsea, Liverpool transfer interest
Soccer5 days ago
EPL, news: Liverpool, Jurgen Klopp, coronavirus, message, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, James Milner, Premier League,
Soccer4 days ago
Football news: Coronavirus 2020; Lionel Messi, wage cuts, Barcelona, La Liga, transfers, death toll, new cases
Cricket2 days ago
PCA seeks collective solutions as players face prospect of pay cuts
Soccer10 hours ago
Real Madrid offer Tottenham Marcelo or two other options in Harry Kane transfer plan
NFL7 days ago
Saints’ Sean Payton says he’s ‘doing well’ after testing positive for coronavirus
NFL5 days ago
Peyton Manning to Broncos a preview of Tom Brady to Buccaneers? – Denver Broncos Blog