Connect with us

NFL

Washington Redskins release Jordan Reed

Published

on

ASHBURN, Va. — The Washington Redskins cut tight end Jordan Reed on Thursday, parting ways with a talented but oft-injured player.

The move comes as no surprise given Reed’s injury history and that the move saves Washington $8.5 million in cap space. He had been under contract through 2021.

Reed missed all of last season with a concussion, his seventh documented one since he started playing college football. He had remained in the concussion protocol until Wednesday. He has never played a full season because of various other injuries. A source close to Reed said the tight end wants to continue playing.

The Redskins made Reed the focal point of their passing attack under former coach Jay Gruden. He responded with a big season in 2015 when he played a career-high 14 games. That season, Reed caught 87 passes for 952 yards and 11 touchdowns — all personal bests.

After that season, the Redskins signed Reed to a five-year extension worth up to $50 million. But in the next three years, thanks to injuries, he averaged only 49 catches per season with a combined 10 touchdowns.

Reed, who had struggled for two seasons because of ligament damage to his big toes, looked good in training camp this past summer. But in the third preseason game, Reed suffered a concussion after Atlanta Falcons safety Keanu Neal delivered a helmet-to-helmet hit.

Reed nearly returned for a Week 2 game against the Dallas Cowboys, but concussion symptoms returned late in the week. The Redskins placed him on injured reserve on Oct. 14.

Washington selected Reed in the third round out of Florida in the 2013 draft and he provided immediate help, catching 45 passes in nine games as a rookie, before injuries ended his season. Reed proved to be a mismatch for linebackers or safeties in particular, especially when aligned in the slot. The Redskins loved his ability to quickly win versus a defender, making him an ideal target.

Reed caught 329 passes with 24 touchdowns for the Redskins.

Earlier this offseason, Vernon Davis announced his retirement. That leaves the Redskins with a glaring need at the position. Their top tight end as of now would be Jeremy Sprinkle, who is coming off a career-best 26-catch season. The Redskins consider him more of a blocking tight end.

Washington already has released corner Josh Norman and receiver Paul Richardson this offseason. By releasing Reed, they have freed up a total of $23.5 million in cap space and now have approximately $63 million available in cap room this offseason.

Source link

NFL

Ex-Broncos DE Derek Wolfe, Ravens agree to 1-year deal, source says

Published

on

‪Former Denver Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe has reached agreement on a one-year deal worth up to $6 million with the Baltimore Ravens, a source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The addition of Wolfe comes one day after the Ravens were unable to finalize a deal with Michael Brockers. There was an issue with Brockers’ injured ankle, and the sides couldn’t agree on a revised deal, a source said.

Baltimore has made it a priority to reshape its defensive front. The Ravens acquired defensive end Calais Campbell from the Jacksonville Jaguars, traded defensive end Chris Wormley to the Pittsburgh Steelers and watched defensive tackle Michael Pierce sign with the Minnesota Vikings in free agency.

Wolfe should help improve the pass rush for the Ravens. Baltimore’s defensive linemen totaled four sacks in 2019, the fewest by any team.

Wolfe finished his eighth season with the Broncos in 2019 and was one of the longest-tenured players on the team’s defense; only cornerback Chris Harris Jr. and linebacker Von Miller have played on the defense longer.

Coach Vic Fangio’s defensive scheme turned out to be perfect for Wolfe as he had one of his best all-around years in 2019 with 34 tackles and a career-best seven sacks. Wolfe has 33 sacks in his career.

Wolfe’s high-motor play has been a key part of the defensive front, and Miller credits Wolfe for many of his sacks “because of what Wolfe does next to me. He’s a beast.”

That intensity has come at a physical price at times, as Wolfe has battled through some injuries throughout his career, including neck surgery. He has played 16 games three times and went to injured reserve this past season after 12 games with a dislocated left elbow.

Wolfe, who turned 30 in February, was a second-round pick by the Broncos in 2012 — the team had traded out of the first round that year — and he immediately started 16 games as a rookie for a team that won the AFC West. He has started every game he played in for the Broncos — 108 in all — and while he hoped to re-sign with the Broncos at season’s end, he added “it’s a business.”

ESPN’s Jamison Hensley and Jeff Legwold contributed to this report.

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Bobby Hebert Sr., father of former Saint and Falcon Bobby Hebert Jr., dies from COVID-19

Published

on

Bobby Hebert Sr. — the father of former New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons quarterback Bobby Hebert — died Saturday at the age of 81 after testing positive for coronavirus.

Hebert Jr., a Southern Louisiana native, still works as an analyst for WWL Radio in New Orleans. He and his wife, Jojo, said in a statement that “our hearts are broken” and that Hebert Sr. was “the reason I made it” to the NFL.

Hebert Jr.’s son T-Bob, who played center at LSU, described his grandfather on Twitter as “the wisest, kindest, and most tactful person I have ever known.”

Hebert Jr. broke down crying in a recent appearance on WWL while describing his father’s battle with the virus. He described his father as a “fighter” who survived colon cancer, multiple strokes and a birth defect that required open heart surgery.

But, Hebert Jr. said, “You can be tough and the virus can still overwhelm you,” before insisting that people heed the advice of health officials because “it’s an unseen enemy.”

Hebert Jr. also wrote in his statement about the “magic twinkle” in his father’s eye and his lifelong passion for the LSU Tigers.

“I’m kinda numb and shocked,” Hebert Jr. said in the WWL interview. “You get numb and then sometimes you don’t want to accept reality and what you’re dealing with.”



Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Chiefs re-signing WR DeMarcus Robinson for one year, source says

Published

on

The Kansas City Chiefs are re-signing wide receiver DeMarcus Robinson to a one-year contract, a source confirmed to ESPN.

Robinson’s production increased each season after cracking the Chiefs’ receiving rotation, going from 21 catches and 212 yards in 2017 to 32 and 449 in 2019. He started 23 games over three seasons, mostly when the Chiefs opened in three- or four-receiver formations.

Robinson, who turns 26 in September, was a fourth-round draft pick in 2016 and played mostly on special teams as a rookie.

His big game with the Chiefs came in Week 2 of last season. With Tyreek Hill out with an injury, Robinson made the most of the opportunity with six catches for 172 yards and two touchdowns in a win over the Raiders.

NFL Network first reported that Robinson was returning to the Chiefs.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending