Connect with us

Cricket

Rachel Trenaman takes leave to focus on mental health

Published

on


Rachel Trenaman, the Sydney Thunder and New South Wales allrounder who has been named in the Australia A squad to face India A, has taken time away from the game to focus on her mental health.

Trenaman, 18, played twice for the Thunder during this season’s WBBL and was part of the Australia A one-day squad for the series that will take place in Brisbane next week.

She has now stood down from that series and will be rested from the Women’s National Cricket League which resumes in January.

“We’re proud that Rachel was brave enough to speak up, and we’re here for her,” Dominic Thornely, the NSW Breakers head coach, said. “I know the cricket family is right behind her and we wish her the very best.”

Sydney Thunder’s acting general manager Chris Botherway said Trenaman had the full support of the Thunder, Cricket NSW and Cricket Australia.

“Rachel is a highly thought of young person who has the respect of her team-mates, coaches and support staff at Sydney Thunder and NSW Breakers,” he said. “Player health and well-being will always be our top priority and we will provide Rachel with all the time and support she needs to make a full recovery.”

Trenaman is the latest Australian cricketer to step back from the game for mental health reasons this season. Sophie Molineux, the Melbourne Renegades and Australia allrounder, announced last month that she was taking a break which followed the decisions taken by Glenn Maxwell, Will Pucovski and Nic Maddinson.

Pucovski and Maddinson returned for Victoria in the last round of Sheffield Shield matches while Maxwell is back in training with Victoria.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Cricket

The Hundred 2021 – ECB clarify player retention plans for postponed Hundred

Published

on


Teams in the Hundred will be able to retain as many men’s players as they wish for the 2021 competition, as details for next season’s draft were revealed on Thursday.

The Hundred, the ECB’s new flagship 100-ball competition, was due to be staged for the first time this summer before the Covid-19 pandemic caused its postponement to 2021. The competition’s regulations had initially allowed teams to retain up to 10 players at a mutually agreed salary band for the second season, but that has been extended to the full squad on account of the delay.

In practice, teams are unlikely to retain their entire squads due to a number of factors, including the end of Kolpak status, a lack of clarity over the international calendar, and form over the last 12 months.

The ECB are due to release a list of centrally-contracted players for 2020-21 – likely to be within the next two weeks – at which point teams will be able to negotiate to retain a player at a mutually-agreed salary. That could be higher or lower than their salary last year, meaning that Dawid Malan (a £40,000 pick by Trent Rockets) could negotiate up after an impressive 12 months, while a player who had struggled for form could agree a deal worth less. As revealed by ESPNcricinfo, all salary bands have been cut by 20% from last year.

Teams will have from October through to January in which to negotiate with players and agents, with a mini-draft to follow at some point in early 2021. In that draft, each team will then have a ‘right to match’ option, allowing them to retain players with whom they failed to negotiate a deal, if they have a spot remaining in the draft at the salary band at which another team picks him.

Each team will still be able to pick one ‘wildcard’ player, who will be chosen after the T20 Blast season in 2021 and will sign a £24,000 contract for the competition.

The early stages of retention will depend on England’s red-ball central contract list, with the competition again set to overlap with a Test series, this time against India, and their Hundred deals falling outside of the main draft system. It is unlikely that many of the 10 players currently with deals will fall off the list, with Jonny Bairstow the main exception, but a handful of players – Dom Sibley, Zak Crawley, Ollie Pope and Dom Bess – will come under consideration for red-ball contracts.

Players with red-ball central contracts both years will be able to be retained. Ultimately, each team will have at least one, and at most two players with a red-ball central contract, which will be confirmed in October.

There will be several sub-plots regarding retentions, not least questions over the availability of certain players on Kolpak deals. Dane Vilas, for example, was signed by Manchester Originals as a top-price pick in last year’s draft. He hopes to continue playing as a local via a UK ancestral visa next year, but would be less likely to command a top salary if competing for one of three overseas spots. Cameron Delport, signed by Birmingham Phoenix, is in the same position.

Some players may also negotiate with teams closer to home. The Originals, for example, may try to sign Liam Livingstone – a first-round pick by Birmingham Phoenix – who lives in Manchester, but could lose Joe Clarke – based in Nottingham – to the Trent Rockets.

The process for women’s retentions has already been confirmed, with players given more control in that they are able to choose to roll their contracts over at the same salary if they choose to do so.



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

PSL franchises seek legal action against PCB over financial model of league

Published

on


All six Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchises have collectively sought legal action in a bid to force the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to change the financial model of the league. They have submitted a law suit in the Lahore High Court over the long-running dispute because the franchises claim the PSL is making the PCB richer while the franchises are running losses every season. The petition asked the court to direct the PCB to “formally redress the grievances of all franchises” and “revise the model of PSL in accordance with its statutory mandate and make it financially viable”.

The PSL is now entangled in legal disputes with two of its major stakeholders: the broadcast-rights holder and now the six franchises. The PCB had last week terminated the contract of PSL’s international media-rights holder, Techfront, citing a series of breaches, including matters relating to payments. At the same time the PCB is also in arbitration against PSL’s local media-right holders – Blitz – who went to court for a stay order against the board’s move to cash in an insurance guarantee from the broadcaster (held as security for the deal) of PKR 1 billion.

More to follow…



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

Kings XI Punjab vs Royal Challengers Bangalore, IPL 2020 – Rolling Report

Published

on



All the buzz from the game between KL Rahul’s Kings XI Punjab and Virat Kohli’s Royal Challengers Bangalore



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending