Connect with us

NFL

Raiders’ Richie Incognito ready to move forward after suspension – Oakland Raiders Blog

Published

on

ALAMEDA, Calif. — Richie Incognito spent his two-game suspension at home in Arizona around family and friends as he worked out and prepared for his debut with the Oakland Raiders this weekend at the Minnesota Vikings.

“For me and my family, it’s been a long trip for me to get back here,” the oft-troubled left guard, who signed a one-year, “prove-it” deal with Oakland in May after taking the 2018 season off, said Wednesday.

“To go through spring and then training camp with these guys and then go sit on the bench and watch them, it gives you a different perspective. It really makes you appreciate it that much more.”

With a list of off-the-field transgressions as long as his on-field accolades, Incognito last suited up for an NFL game on Dec. 3, 2017, as a member of the Buffalo Bills. A one-year retirement ensued and then the Raiders, by way of coach Jon Gruden and general manager Mike Mayock, came calling this May, knowing full well that a league-mandated suspension for violating the league’s personal conduct policy was looming.

Incognito, a four-time Pro Bowler who was also once voted the league’s dirtiest player by peers, pleaded guilty in April to two misdemeanors after an incident involving his 90-year-old grandmother that took place last August in Peoria, Arizona.

Ordered to take 10 weekly anger-management sessions and pay a $569 fine, Incognito was also was given one year of unsupervised probation per terms of the agreement. He was ordered to stay away from his grandmother’s home, stay on his medication, avoid alcohol, not possess firearms and write a letter of apology. He also pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge stemming from an arrest last August in Scottsdale, Arizona. Two days after the fight with his grandmother, Incognito was arrested after making threats at a funeral home where his father’s body was being held.

Plus, Incognito was at the center of a 2013 investigation into the bullying of Miami Dolphins teammate Jonathan Martin, which led to a suspension for Incognito. He did not play football in 2014.

Incognito, 36, said it was a “big relief” to have a clean slate with time served, so to speak. Especially after being allowed to participate in the Raiders’ offseason program, training camp and exhibition games before being sent off.

“I just attack,” he said. “Attack, going forward. The suspension’s behind me, all the negative stuff is behind me. Just eyes forward, staying positive, relishing the opportunity. What I think is big is really enjoying every day in here because you don’t know how many more you’re going to have, and wanting to play well.

“Wanting to play well for Coach Gruden and Mike Mayock, for [offensive line] coach [Tom] Cable, for the rest of the offensive line for all the hard work we’ve put in. Really just want to charge forward and make it right.”

Gruden said Wednesday’s practice was scaled back in part because of the rash of injuries the team is dealing with in the wake of last week’s 28-10 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs (among those offensive starters either sitting out or being limited included rookie running back Josh Jacobs, receiver Tyrell Williams and right tackle Trent Brown).

But there was a benefit as far as Incognito was concerned.

“We increased the reps,” Gruden said. “We increased the communication opportunities for Richie to get wired back in and all indications are good. He looked good today.”

Incognito figures to slide in at left guard and replace Jordan Devey, who started the Raiders’ first two games.

Source link

NFL

Jalen Ramsey, Rams ‘on same page’ concerning contract extension

Published

on

The Los Angeles Rams have been in contact with Jalen Ramsey‘s representatives about a contract extension as the All-Pro cornerback enters the final season of his rookie deal.

Ramsey played coy Tuesday when asked where negotiations stood.

“The Rams know where I stand,” Ramsey said on a video conference with reporters. “I think that’s all that matters at the end of the day. It will be handled. They know where I stand. They’ve been in contact with my agent. … They’re on the same page as my agent.”

When asked whether he would attend training camp if he had yet to sign an extension, Ramsey showed no hesitation.

“Yeah, for sure,” he said.

Ramsey is expected to command a record-breaking contract, and it’s anticipated that he will have the upper hand in negotiations, given what the Rams paid to acquire him before the trade deadline last season.

The Rams sent their 2020 and 2021 first-round draft picks and a 2021 fourth-round selection to the Jacksonville Jaguars for Ramsey, who was the No. 5 overall pick in 2016.

“I can’t really worry about that,” Ramsey said about the negotiations. “I just control what I got to worry about right now. … I feel like everybody knew what type of situation it was gonna be once they traded for me, so I think it doesn’t really need to be talked about that much. It will get handled.”

Considered among the top lockdown corners in the NFL, Ramsey has 10 interceptions, including one for a touchdown, and 49 pass deflections in four seasons.

The Rams have been aggressive in signing players to record-breaking contracts over the past two years.

Running back Todd Gurley signed a four-year, $40 million extension in July 2018 that included a record-breaking $45 million guaranteed. A month later, defensive tackle Aaron Donald signed a six-year, $135 million extension that amounted to the richest contract ever signed by a defensive player. Last September, quarterback Jared Goff signed a four-year, $134 million deal that includes a record-breaking $110 million guaranteed.

The Rams, however, cut Gurley this offseason and also traded receiver Brandin Cooks, who was in the midst of a five-year, $81 million contract.

Gurley’s and Cooks’ contracts will cost the Rams nearly $30 million in dead money cap charges in 2020.

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Jalen Ramsey, Rams ‘on same page’ concerning extension

Published

on

The Los Angeles Rams have been in contact with Jalen Ramsey‘s representatives in regard to a contract extension as the All-Pro cornerback enters the final season of his rookie deal.

Ramsey played coy Wednesday when asked where negotiations stood.

“The Rams know where I stand,” Ramsey said on a video conference with reporters. “I think that’s all that matters at the end of the day. It will be handled. They know where I stand. They’ve been in contact with my agent. … They’re on the same page as my agent.”

When asked if he would attend training camp if he had yet to sign an extension, Ramsey showed no hesitation.

“Yeah, for sure,” he said.

Ramsey is expected to command a record-breaking contract, and it’s anticipated that he will have the upper hand in negotiations given what the Rams paid to acquire him before the trade deadline last season.

The Rams sent their 2020 and 2021 first-round draft picks and a 2021 fourth-round selection to the Jacksonville Jaguars for Ramsey, who was the No. 5 overall pick in 2016.

“I can’t really worry about that,” Ramsey said about the negotiations. “I just control what I got to worry about right now. … I feel like everybody knew what type of situation it was gonna be once they traded for me, so I think it doesn’t really need to be talked about that much. It will get handled.”

Considered among the top lockdown corners in the NFL, Ramsey has 10 interceptions, including one for a touchdown, and 49 pass deflections in four seasons.

The Rams have been aggressive in signing players to record-breaking contracts over the last two years.

Running back Todd Gurley signed a four-year, $40 million extension in July 2018 that included a record-breaking $45 million guaranteed. A month later, defensive tackle Aaron Donald signed a six-year, $135 million extension that amounted to the richest contract ever signed by a defensive player. Last September, quarterback Jared Goff signed a four-year, $134 million deal, that includes a record-breaking $110 million guaranteed.

The Rams, however, cut Gurley this offseason and also traded receiver Brandin Cooks, who was in the midst of a five-year, $81 million contract.

Gurley and Cooks’ contracts will cost the Rams nearly $30 million in dead money cap charges in 2020.

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Vince McMahon says he won’t try to buy back XFL in court filing

Published

on

XFL owner Vince McMahon said Tuesday that he will not attempt to buy back the league in bankruptcy court.

In a court filing, McMahon called accusations that he was secretly maneuvering to use Chapter 11 as an avenue to cheaply retain the XFL “inflammatory” and “unsubstantiated.”

The XFL filed for bankruptcy on April 13 in Delaware district court, three days after laying off nearly its entire staff, citing the unforeseen impact of the coronavirus epidemic.

McMahon then put the league up for sale, but the court’s committee of unsecured creditors claimed last week that McMahon had set up a “fire sale” bidding process that would rig the process in a way that would allow him to buy back the XFL without repaying its debts.

In a deposition footnoted in Tuesday’s filing, McMahon admitted that he had reserved his legal right to be a bidder in the original bankruptcy claim. He said he did that because “I think I was trying to make up my mind.” The committee’s filing last week pushed him to decide against a bid, he said.

“I don’t know why that’s out there, making me out to be the bad guy, [that] I’m going to buy the XFL back for pennies on the dollar, basically,” McMahon said in the deposition. “That helped me move into the direction of, ‘I’m not going to be a bidder, not going to have anything to do with it.’ I do hope that someone will pay a lot of money for it, and I do hope that it will survive.”

In the filing, McMahon’s attorneys wrote that McMahon put in “at least” $200 million of his own money into the XFL.

“Accordingly, all that the committee has managed to do,” the attorneys wrote, “… is to chase away a potentially significant bidder for the debtor’s assets.”

The XFL has hired the Houlihan Lokey brokerage firm to handle the sale. According to the original schedule it established, letters of intent are due June 12. Final bids are due July 6, subject to approval by the bankruptcy court, in hopes of putting potential new owners in position to get the XFL back on the field in the spring of 2021 if desired.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending