Connect with us

NFL

Antonio Brown accused of sexual assault in suit

Published

on

Antonio Brown has been accused of sexually assaulting his former trainer, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in the Southern District of Florida.

In the lawsuit, a copy of which was reviewed by ESPN, Brown’s former trainer, Britney Taylor, accuses the New England Patriots receiver of sexually assaulting her on three separate occasions in 2017 and ’18.

The first alleged incident came in June 2017, with Taylor saying Brown exposed himself and kissed her without consent. A month later, Taylor alleges in the lawsuit, Brown masturbated near her without her knowledge and ejaculated on her back, then later bragged about it in a series of text messages. And then, in May 2018, Taylor alleges that Brown “forced her down onto a bed, pushed her face into the mattress, and forcibly raped her.”

Brown’s lawyer, Darren Heitner, said in a statement Tuesday night that the receiver and Taylor were involved in a “consensual personal relationship. Any sexual interaction with Mr. Brown was entirely consensual.”

Heitner said they will pursue “all legal remedies to not only clear his name, but to also protect other professional athletes against false accusations.”

Taylor was a gymnast at Central Michigan, where Brown attended college. According to the lawsuit, they met in a bible-study group at the school and stayed friends, then fell out of touch for several years before reconnecting in June 2017, with Brown hiring her to assist in his physical training.

The alleged incidents have left Taylor suffering “near-daily panic attacks and suicidal ideations,” per the lawsuit.

“As a rape victim of Antonio Brown, deciding to speak out has been an incredibly difficult decision,” Taylor said in a statement. “I have found strength in my faith, my family, and from the accounts of other survivors of sexual assault.”

Brown, a Miami native, was officially signed by the Patriots on Monday after a weeks-long saga with the Raiders that eventually led to his release. He is scheduled to practice for the first time with New England on Wednesday.

Heitner told ESPN’s Michael Eaves that he’s “not been in contact with the league regarding this lawsuit.”

There was no immediate comment from the Patriots or the NFL.



Source link

NFL

Artist says Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts

Published

on

The lawyer for a woman who earlier this week alleged sexual misconduct by Antonio Brown reached out to the NFL on Thursday night after the wide receiver apparently sent what were described as threatening text messages to her client, Sports Illustrated reports.

Attorney Lisa J. Banks wrote the NFL, asking the league to stop alleged conduct by Brown that she deemed as “intimidating and threatening to our client, in violation of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy,” according to the report. The NFL responded quickly, setting up a phone call between league investigators and the woman’s attorneys.

The woman told SI that, on Wednesday night, she received a group text message that appeared to come from the same phone number Brown gave to her in 2017, when she was hired by the wide receiver to paint a mural in his suburban Pittsburgh home. The text chain had four other numbers on it, SI reported.

The woman said she believes Brown was encouraging others in the group to investigate her, describing her as a “super broke girl” and asking someone he refers to as “Eric B” to “look up her background history.” He then sent a screenshot of an Instagram photo she had posted showing the faces of her young children, adding “those her kids … she’s awful broke clearly.”

The texter accused the woman of fabricating her account of a 2017 incident for cash.

The text messages, sent while Brown was a member of New England Patriots, were viewed by some in the organization to have crossed the line, a source told ESPN on Friday, shortly after the Patriots released the embattled wide receiver less than two weeks after signing him.

“The NFL and the Patriots clearly took our client’s concerns seriously,” Banks and law firm partner Debra Katz said in a statement Friday. “She wanted the threats and intimidation to stop and we hope that will be the case. The NFL has assured us that regardless of Antonio Brown’s roster status, it will continue to investigate all claims regarding his behavior.We are gratified that the NFL recognized that it has an important role to play in policing player conduct that is sexually harassing and threatening.”

The woman’s allegations were first included within a Sports Illustrated story published Monday that detailed multiple domestic incidents involving Brown.

According to SI’s initial report, Brown had hosted a charity softball game in Pittsburgh to benefit the National Youth Foundation, a Pennsylvania-based volunteer group of women that promotes inclusion and gender equality, as well as developing academic skills in kids. The event had an auction that included artwork, and Brown agreed to purchase a portrait of himself before befriending the artist who created it.

Brown invited the artist to come to his home to create another painting of him, according to the report, arranging for transportation from New York to western Pennsylvania. The artist told SI she was thrilled by Brown’s willingness to share her work on social media, but on her second day in Pennsylvania, things changed.

According to the report, which did not include the artist’s name, she “was in a kneeling position while painting and turned to find Brown behind her, naked, holding a small hand towel over his genitals.” The artist said she didn’t stop painting and that “after that, it all ended abruptly.”

Brown paid her $2,000 for the mural, according to SI, and didn’t contact the artist thereafter.

The artist is not pursuing charges or remuneration, according to SI.

After SI published its story Monday, Brown’s attorney, Darren Heitner, tweeted that his client denied he ever acted inappropriately.

Heitner told SI he had not advised Brown to communicate with the woman but otherwise declined comment when reached Thursday.

Messages sent by SI to Brown’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, were not immediately returned Thursday, according to the report.

The woman’s allegations are separate from those of Britney Taylor, Brown’s former trainer who filed a civil suit in Florida earlier this month. In the lawsuit, she alleges that Brown sexually assaulted her in three separate incidents, two in June 2017 and another in May 2018.

NFL investigators met with Taylor on Monday, and a source previously told ESPN that there are “more interviews and information gathering being conducted now beyond Taylor.” It remains unclear when or if Brown will interview with the league.

Brown, who was signed by the Patriots on Sept. 9 — before Taylor’s lawsuit was filed — and made his season debut Sunday against the Miami Dolphins, spoke publicly Thursday for the first time since the allegations came out. During the brief media session, Brown was not directly asked a question about his reaction to Taylor’s lawsuit and deflected a question on whether he has heard from the NFL about being able to play throughout the 2019 season.

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

What now for Antonio Brown? Answering the biggest questions around his release

Published

on

Antonio Brown has been released by his second NFL team in less than two weeks. The New England Patriots announced Friday that they were parting ways with the star wide receiver, whom they signed when he was released by the Oakland Raiders just before Week 1.

Brown has been publicly accused of sexual misconduct by two different women in the time since the Patriots signed him, and once new allegations of his behavior toward one of those women surfaced overnight Thursday, the Patriots decided they’d had enough.

It has been a bizarre saga for Brown since he forced his way out of Pittsburgh via trade during the offseason. His time with the Raiders was marked by controversy over his preferred choice of helmet, the accidental freezing of his feet in a cryotherapy chamber and a public feud with team management over fines for missing work. The Patriots agreed to terms with him hours after his release from Oakland on Sept. 7, but it wasn’t long before far more serious controversies began to surface.

Brown is under NFL investigation and without a job. Here’s a look at some of the key facts of the situation as it stands:


Why did the Patriots cut him now?

The Patriots claim that they did not know, when they signed Brown on Sept. 9, that his former trainer Britney Taylor was planning to file a lawsuit against him alleging sexual assault. She did that three days later, but New England kept him on the team last week, and he played in their victory over the Miami Dolphins.

This week, a Sports Illustrated story was published that included a fresh allegation of sexual misconduct against Brown by a different woman. That woman told Sports Illustrated on Thursday that Brown had sent her intimidating and threatening texts after the story ran, and her attorneys said Thursday they were sharing those texts and that information with league investigators. The Patriots woke up to that news Friday morning and, according to sources, held a series of meetings to determine the best course of action in light of the most recent development and all of the issues that were piling up around Brown.

Coach Bill Belichick, who has control over the composition of the team’s roster, walked out of his regular Friday news conference because he didn’t want to answer questions about Brown and the reporters who cover the team understandably kept asking them anyway. Several hours later, the Patriots released a short statement that read, “The New England Patriots are releasing Antonio Brown. We appreciate the hard work of many people over the last 11 days, but we feel that it is best to move in a different direction at this time.”

Will the NFL take action against him, too?

The NFL’s investigation into Brown’s off-field conduct began Monday when league investigators interviewed Taylor, who filed the lawsuit last week accusing Brown of sexual assault. That investigation, a league source said Friday after Brown’s release, “will continue.” The league has been interviewing other witnesses besides Taylor this week and has been gathering information on all of the accusations against Brown. At this time, the league is not scheduled to interview Brown. Usually, the interview with the player happens at the end of the investigation, after the league has compiled all of its evidence against him.

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Rams without TE Higbee; Donald questionable

Published

on

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — The Los Angeles Rams on Friday officially ruled out tight end Tyler Higbee and listed defensive tackle Aaron Donald and right guard Austin Blythe as questionable for Sunday’s game against the Cleveland Browns.

Higbee suffered a lung contusion on Sunday in a win over the New Orleans Saints. The fourth-year pro, who has six catches for 41 yards and a touchdown, did not practice throughout the week.

Third-year tight end Gerald Everett will start in Higbee’s absence. Johnny Mundt, who is typically inactive on game day, will be the backup.

Donald has been dealing with a back strain suffered in the second quarter against the Saints, but the two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year said Friday that he was “100 percent” and would play against the Browns.

“I feel good,” Donald said.

When asked how he suffered the strain, Donald responded: “I’m just so fast, I was moving so fast and I strained it. That’s what happened, honestly.”

Donald was limited in practice throughout the week and was listed as questionable for Sunday’s road game out of caution, Rams coach Sean McVay said.

“Unless something really unforeseen happens, this guy is going on Sunday night,” McVay said.

A Pittsburgh native, Donald is expecting several family members to make the two-hour drive to attend the game.

“I got to show up and show out,” Donald said.

Blythe, a second-year starter, sprained his left ankle on Sunday.

“With these ankle injuries, it’s one of those deals we’re going to use all the time that we do have,” McVay said. “See if we can get some of that swelling out and if he feels good enough, then we’ll make a decision on that.”

If Blythe is unable to play, the Rams will have three first-year starters on the interior of their line with Jamil Demby expected to start in Blythe’s absence.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending