Jose Mourinho is closing in on a desperately-needed new striker to support Harry Kane, while Manchester United are in talks with Barcelona over a winger as a potential alternative to top target Jadon Sancho.
Here’s all the latest transfer news!
Watch European Football with beIN SPORTS and ESPN on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
United in talks over Barca star
United’s failure to sign their top target, England prodigy Jadon Sancho, has seen them turn their attention to four other players – for now at least.
United had a bid worth up to £91 million ($A164m million) for the 20-year-old Dortmund star rejected, with the German club reportedly holding out for €120m ($A196m).
As previously reported, United are interested in Real Madrid’s Luka Jovic and free agent Edinson Cavani to boost their depth in attack.
But it has now been revealed that United are also in talks with Barcelona over a deal for 23-year-old winger Ousmane Dembele. Having been plagued by injury in his three years at Barcelona, the World Cup winner has made just 75 appearances in all competitions, with just 12 league goals from 52 matches.
Dembele was Barcelona’s club-record signing when he signed from Borussia Dortmund for €105m ($A172m) in August 2017.
United are keen on a loan deal, perhaps with the option to buy, according to The Guardian. That would likely see him used as a stopgap solution until a future deal for Sancho can be completed next season.
But Barcelona would prefer to sell the player, while the Frenchman himself would prefer to remain at the Camp Nou, having previously rejected interest from Liverpool and Juventus.
Barcelona manager Ronald Koeman said: “I’m counting on him.
“He was very good in the first weeks [of pre-season] but he had a downturn last week. He trained well today and I’m counting on him. But these are decisions for the club and the player.”
Watford’s Ismaila Sarr is another player on United’s list of targets to boost their offence. Sarr is an interesting case, given that English clubs can trade players between themselves until October 16 – 11 days after the window to sign players from other European nations ends.
That means United can go all-out for Sancho or his alternatives, while having Sarr as a more than handy fallback option.
Get all the latest football news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!
Veni, vidi, Vinicius
Spurs are in talks with Benfica over Brazilian 25-year-old Vinicius, with the striker likely to join North London on loan with an option to buy.
Vinicius only joined Benfica from Napoli for £15m last season, but Sky Sports says Tottenham’s purchase option will be set around £36m.
The striker bagged 24 goals last season.
Spurs have been without a back-up striker for Kane since Fernando Llorente left some 14 months ago – including a run of eight matches last season where an injured Kane left Mourinho without a recognised striker.
Stephen Bergwijn and Erik Lamela were deployed as makeshift forwards in this week’s Carabao Cup clash against Chelsea before Kane emerged in the second half in the penalty shootout win.
Mourinho has repeatedly spoken of his desire to sign a striker this window, but now appears confident he’ll get his wish.
“I am optimistic, but more than that the feeling that I like is that we are trying everything to do it,” he said.
“You succeed or you don’t succeed. It’s like a football match: you win or you don’t win but you give everything and try everything. The transfer market is the same.”
While Vinicius appears likely to move to White Hart Lane, he’s not the only forward Spurs have made contact with in recent weeks.
Tottenham also reportedly inquired about Torino captain Andrea Belotti, Metz striker Habib Diallo and another Benfica striker in Haris Seferovic.
Napoli striker Arkadiusz Milik was also heavily linked to the club. Milik has been shopped around to a number of Premier League sides after a move to Roma collapsed, but his history of major knee injuries could prove a stalling point.
Barkley goes to Villa
England international Ross Barkley hopes his move to Aston Villa on a season-long loan from Chelsea will revitalise his chances of making the European championships squad next June.
Barkley was in danger of falling out of the picture with Chelsea and England following the Blues’ close-season signings of Kai Havertz and Hakim Ziyech.
The 26-year-old had made only three appearances for Frank Lampard’s side this season.
Overall, Barkley has started just 28 Premier League games in a Chelsea shirt since arriving from Everton in 2018.
“The last couple of years I’ve been stop-start, performing well and then being out of the team,” Barkley told Villa’s website.
“To come here and have the chance to play and perform regularly is a big thing for me. With the Euros at the end of the season, it’s a big target for me and hopefully I can be there.
“Dean Smith swayed me with the way he spoke to me, and it looks like it’s going to be an exciting season.”
Smith’s side have won their opening two Premier League games and Barkley could make his debut against Liverpool on Sunday.
Fulham land Lookman
Newly promoted Premier League outfit Fulham have signed striker Ademola Lookman on a season-long loan from RB Leipzig.
The 22-year-old former Charlton and Everton forward said Fulham boss Scott Parker’s passion had persuaded him to make the switch to southwest London to help bolster a team that has struggled on their return to the top-flight.
“I’m glad to have it over the line and done now, I’m glad I can be here to help the team,” said Lookman.
“After the conversations I had with Scott Parker, I got a great feeling, that’s the working relationship I want to have.” Parker’s men have conceded 10 goals in losing their opening three games, including a 3-0 home defeat to Aston Villa on Monday.
Fulham’s next match is Thursday’s League Cup fourth-round clash at Brentford, who will be seeking revenge after losing last month’s Championship playoff final to Fulham.