Connect with us

NFL

Former NFL offensive lineman Jonathan Martin facing charges following Instagram post last month

Published

on

Former NFL offensive lineman Jonathan Martin is facing charges of making criminal threats and carrying a loaded gun in connection with a threatening Instagram post from last month.

The Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office filed four counts of making criminal threats and one count of carrying a loaded firearm on March 13, according to online records.

Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Josh Rubenstein confirmed to ESPN that the DA had filed charges and said that police were communicating with Martin’s attorney.

Martin, 28, was detained for questioning on Feb. 23 after a threatening image was posted on Instagram that said: “When you’re a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge.” The image showed a shotgun and ammunition and tagged four accounts, including those belonging to former Dolphins teammates Richie Incognito and Mike Pouncey. It also used hashtags for Harvard-Westlake, where Martin went to high school, and the Miami Dolphins.

Another person tagged was James Dunleavy. Martin went to Harvard-Westlake with a James Dunleavy, who is the son of former NBA coach Mike Dunleavy and went on to play basketball at USC.

Harvard-Westlake School, which shut down for a day after the Instagram post, filed a workplace-violence-prevention restraining order against Martin on March 1.

A law enforcement source told KABC-TV in Los Angeles earlier this month that Martin was in a mental health facility.

Martin accused Incognito and Pouncey of bullying him in 2013 when they were teammates in Miami, and it resulted in an NFL investigation. The investigation found that Incognito, Pouncey and John Jerry created a hostile working environment for Martin, who left the team in the middle of the season.

Martin hasn’t played in the NFL since 2015. Weeks after retiring, Martin posted a long message on Facebook explaining that he suffered from depression and had tried to kill himself on several occasions.

ESPN’s Kyle Bonagura contributed to this report.

Source link

NFL

Washington coach Ron Rivera plans for another halftime IV treatment Sunday

Published

on

After getting an IV treatment at halftime of last weekend’s regular-season opener, Washington Football Team head coach Ron Rivera plans to do the same for Sunday’s game against the Arizona Cardinals if he needs it.

“If I’m feeling it, I will tell our head trainer [Ryan Vermillion] that I need it,” Rivera said Friday before his team left for Arizona.

Rivera, 58, was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma located in a lymph node this past summer. The cancer is in the early stages and is considered “very treatable and curable,” but Rivera still is learning how to deal with it.

For instance, Rivera now usually goes to bed at 9 p.m., about two hours earlier than he usually has during his decorated coaching career. He gets treatments that sometimes throw off the timing of his days.

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Sources — NFL senior VP of officiating Al Riveron missed Week 1 because of coronavirus

Published

on

Al Riveron, the NFL’s senior vice president of officiating, was not in the league office’s replay command center last Sunday for the Week 1 games because he was at home in Miami battling the coronavirus, league sources told ESPN.

But Riveron said Saturday that he will return to the command center Sunday for Week 2 and is “feeling great.” To date, Riveron is the highest-profile NFL employee who has been forced to miss a game day because of COVID-19.

With Riveron out last Sunday, it was next man up: The NFL’s vice president of instant replay, Russell Yurk, stepped into the role that Riveron usually has on game day, being a critical voice on any disputed replay call.

Most team owners, head coaches and general managers don’t know who is in the officiating command center in New York, and they certainly don’t know the depth chart. They didn’t know that some of their fates last Sunday were being decided by Yurk, who was a replay official under former NFL VP of officiating Dean Blandino and started in the league office with Riveron in 2017.

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Source — Cleveland Browns have no plans to trade Odell Beckham Jr.

Published

on

Even before Odell Beckham Jr. shined during Thursday night’s win over the Cincinnati Bengals, one source close to the situation insisted to ESPN that the Cleveland Browns had no plans or discussions this season about trading the wide receiver.

“It’s totally not true,” one source told ESPN, regarding speculation that Beckham could be traded. “No idea where anyone would have gotten that.”

Speculation began to mount last week, after Cleveland’s blowout loss to the Baltimore Ravens in the season opener, that the Browns were shopping Beckham.

But just as the Browns adamantly denied during the offseason that Beckham was being shopped, the source insisted to ESPN that Cleveland still has no plans to trade him and has not discussed dealing the three-time Pro Bowler.

Beckham had just three catches for 22 yards in the 38-6 loss to Baltimore but bounced back against Cincinnati on Thursday, hauling in four receptions for 74 yards, including a 43-yard touchdown in the second quarter.

“I thought we made the most of our playmakers’ abilities,” Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield said. “I’m surrounded by talent. I want to get the ball in their hands.”

Beckham, 27, entered the 2020 season with four years remaining — at an annual average value of $15 million — on the record-setting deal he signed with the New York Giants in 2018.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending