Connect with us

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield and Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson were among 90 players revealed Tuesday to have been claimed by Canadian Football League teams.

Both players are preparing for the NFL draft and are expected to be high selections. Neither is likely to enter the CFL. But if plans change in the coming years, Mayfield’s rights belong to the Toronto Argonauts. Jackson’s rights are owned by the British Columbia Lions.

The CFL has long used a method known as a negotiation list, rather than a draft, for allocating American players. Each team can claim up to 45 players and retain their rights for as long as desired. When Americans want to play in the CFL, they must negotiate exclusively with the team that owns their rights.

The list has historically been kept secret, but the league changed its policy this year to allow for a partial release of up to 10 names per team.

Former NFL quarterback Johnny Manziel was not among the 10 players announced by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, but he is known to be on their list and spent months in negotiations with the team this winter. He currently plans to participate in The Spring League, a domestic developmental league based in Austin, Texas, but has not ruled out playing in the CFL.

During a Twitter conversation with CFL star Duron Carter, son of NFL Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter, Manziel said in part: “If that’s the path I choose, TRUST ME, I’m gunna let it fly.”

Hamilton did acknowledge that former NFL quarterback Robert Griffin III remains on its negotiation list. Another former NFL quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, is on the Montreal Allouettes’ list.

Source link

NFL

Pittsburgh offensive lineman Trai Turner ready for ‘new era’ on Steelers’ rebuilt offensive line

Published

on

PITTSBURGH — Signed just a day after the Pittsburgh Steelers released longtime right guard David DeCastro, Pro Bowl lineman Trai Turner isn’t viewing himself as a direct replacement of DeCastro. Instead, he sees himself as one part of Pittsburgh’s rebuilt offensive line.

“I just look at it like it’s a new era, a different time, different place,” Turner said Sunday. “Everything has an expiration date at some point. DeCastro is a great player, and I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m replacing him, I’m just the new right guard.

“I’m going to be the best Trai Turner I can be. I’ve been that since I was born June 14, 1993. That’s never changed. I’m not trying to emulate or be somebody else. I’m not taking place of nobody else, I’m not replacing anything. I’m coming in, and I’m setting the tone for who I am and for what I do.”

Though he’s only been a Steeler for a month, Turner, who signed a one-year, $3 million contract in June, is the most veteran of the projected starting offensive linemen, with seven seasons under his belt. The four other projected starters on the line — Chukwuma Okorafor, Kendrick Green, Kevin Dotson and Zach Banner — have just 24 combined NFL starts. Only one of those starts was at the position where the player is projected to line up this season.

Even after observing just a handful of camp practices, offensive coordinator Matt Canada saw the immediate benefit of bringing in a veteran offensive lineman like Turner.

“He had a mistake today that I didn’t see on the side. As we worked he came up and knew what it was and said it right away,” Canada said Saturday. “Obviously a veteran like him who’s played as well as he has, I think we’re very fortunate to have him and really like where he’s at. And he’s worked very hard to not have those mistakes, and to be as efficient as he has been in three days is really a real positive for us and him. Big fan of him.”

In the four days of training camp, Turner’s linemates have shifted frequently. Both Okorafor and Dotson have only done individual work, while Banner is slowly working into the rotation as he continues recovering from torn ACL in last year’s season-opener.

Even Green missed a full day of practice, excused Saturday by coach Mike Tomlin for personal reasons. But Turner, who feels healthy after an injury-riddled 2020 season, sees the benefits in the constant turnover this early in camp.

“It’s camp so you’ve got to embrace it,” Turner said. “Not only do I have to get used to new guys, they have to get used to me. I think it’s more of a positive than a negative that more people are in than not because you don’t know who’s available at all times.

“Sometimes you just have to make sure you have continuity with everyone and I think that’s what we’re getting. Just embracing it and hope everyone gets healthy soon and be back to full strength.”

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Leonard Fournette says he will consider COVID-19 vaccine despite tweet to contrary

Published

on

TAMPA, Fla. — In a tweet that was put out Thursday and later deleted, Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Leonard Fournette indicated he didn’t want to get vaccinated for COVID-19. But on Sunday he said his decision wasn’t set in stone and he is open to the idea.

“I just don’t know too much about it,” Fournette said after the team’s first training camp practice.

Coach Bruce Arians said that rather than bringing in a specialist to address the team’s concerns about the vaccine as a whole — which Washington Football Team coach Ron Rivera did — the team would make doctors available to address individual players’ concerns. Fournette plans to take him up on that.

“I’m going to talk to them, and just see what’s the best decision, for myself and for the team,” Fournette said, adding that if he doesn’t get the vaccine, he’s prepared to undergo the far more restrictive COVID-19 unvaccinated player protocols that significantly impact team and social activities away from football.

“We went over the rules yesterday,” Fournette said. “I know what’s going on, I know what to do and what not to do.”

He said he does not believe that he will be impacted in any way from a football standpoint, despite restrictions like not being able to gather with teammates outside the facility, no access to the sauna or steam room and only cold tub usage when social distancing can be followed. Failure to abide by those rules can result in a fine of $14,650 for each infraction.

“I know a lot of people who got the shot and still got the corona,” Fournette. “Just taking it day-by-day, week-by-week, talking to the doctors, trying to figure out what’s best for myself and the team.”

Fournette said he has felt the support of teammates and coaches.

“Coach [Arians] respects our decision,” Fournette said. “We’re men. He said he’s 100% with us, whatever we want to do. Just don’t get the team sick. That’s about it.”

The Bucs were one of the few teams last year that did not see a significant COVID-19 outbreak, with Arians emphasizing throughout the season that they “needed to beat the virus” and not just their weekly opponents. The start of 2021 training camp had a similar feel, even as restrictions have loosened and fans have been welcomed back to practice.

“It’s always on your mind,” Arians said. “Florida’s a hot spot in the nation. Hillsborough [County] and Pinellas [County] were No. 1 for a while. … Guys still have to be smart. We talked a lot about the delta variant and what it means, what rules you are following if your wristband’s red and your wristband’s yellow.”

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Philadelphia Eagles fill need in secondary with CB Steven Nelson

Published

on

The Philadelphia Eagles agreed to terms with cornerback Steven Nelson on a one-year contract Sunday, filling a need in their secondary.

Terms were not disclosed but a source told ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler that the contract is worth more than $4 million.

Nelson is expected to compete for playing time opposite Darius Slay at one of the Eagles’ outside cornerback spots. He provides experience for an Eagles secondary that lacked it beyond Slay and Avonte Maddox, who likely will start at the nickelback position.

The Pittsburgh Steelers released Nelson on March 23, a week after the team granted the cornerback permission to seek a trade.

Nelson joined the Steelers in 2019, signing a three-year, $25.5 million contract after spending his first four NFL seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Nelson, who turned 28 in January, started 30 games in two seasons for the Steelers, recording three interceptions, two fumble recoveries and 95 solo tackles — including two for loss.

Selected in the third round of the 2015 draft by the Chiefs, Nelson has seven interceptions, 52 passes defended and 291 tackles in 82 regular-season games.

The Eagles released defensive tackle Willie Henry in a corresponding move Sunday.

ESPN’s Brooke Pryor contributed to this report.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending