Connect with us

TAMPA, Fla. — The Tom Brady meme team struck again this week. Thanks to a suggestion from Tampa Bay Buccaneers tight end Rob Gronkowski, it’s getting the narration treatment it deserves.

It started out as a tweet from former MLB third baseman Danny Valencia on Monday, where he said, “Every future @TomBrady game should be on the history channel.”

Valencia’s tweet got the attention of Brady’s social media team, who earlier this year superimposed LeBron James’ face on Brady’s body after James won his fourth NBA title, with Brady also poking fun at himself for his infamous fourth-down gaffe against the Chicago Bears.

Brady’s team responded Monday night with age progression photos of himself and Drew Brees with the date of Sunday’s NFC divisional playoff game and a History Channel logo. In it, Brady channels Charlton Heston as Moses from “The Ten Commandments.”

But it didn’t end there.

Gronkowski got involved, which blew the lid off things. The next day, Gronk suggested that Morgan Freeman narrate it. Wise choice, since Freeman has experience with Biblical works, such as the TV series “The Story of God.”

While Freeman hasn’t responded yet, a certain comedian legendary for his impersonations did: Frank Caliendo, whose most famous bit is still and probably will always be his rendition of current Las Vegas Raiders head coach Jon Gruden.

Which leads us here: Caliendo pretending to be Freeman in what a History Channel Brady-Brees matchup would look like Sunday. It will be the first meeting between 40-plus-year-old quarterbacks in NFL postseason history.



Source link

NFL

Houston Texans CEO Cal McNair wants Deshaun Watson part of hiring process for coach

Published

on

HOUSTON — A week after Houston Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair said he hadn’t heard back from quarterback Deshaun Watson since hiring general manager Nick Caserio, McNair said he has now “connected over texts” with Watson.

“It’s no secret he’s disappointed in the communication during the hiring process,” McNair said, according to an interview with the Houston Chronicle and Fox 26 Houston.



Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Seattle Seahawks WR Josh Gordon suspended indefinitely again

Published

on

SEATTLE — Seahawks wide receiver Josh Gordon has been suspended indefinitely again after the NFL rescinded his conditional reinstatement.

An NFL spokesperson told ESPN that the decision stems from Gordon violating the terms of his conditional reinstatement under the league’s substance-abuse policy. No other details were provided from the league.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported last month that Gordon, 29, had another setback in his recovery from substance abuse as he was nearing his return to the field after a yearlong suspension. A source told Fowler at the time that Gordon was grappling with the reality that he might never be allowed to play in the NFL again as indications throughout the process of his reinstatement from that suspension were that this was probably his final strike.

The league suspended Gordon indefinitely in December of 2019 for violations of its policies on substances of abuse and performance-enhancing substances. That was Gordon’s sixth suspension since the 2013 season and his fifth for some form of substance abuse, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

Gordon was conditionally reinstated by the NFL last month and was set to practice with the Seahawks in Week 16. Coach Pete Carroll said he had a chance to play that Sunday against the Los Angeles Rams. But a day before what would have been Gordon’s first official practice in a year, the NFL placed him on the commissioner’s exempt list after deeming that he had not satisfied the terms of his conditional reinstatement.

Gordon’s tweet Friday — “wasn’t this old news” — suggests his indefinite return to the reserve/suspended by commissioner list stems from last month’s events.

Gordon was allowed back at Seahawks headquarters on Dec. 9 after completing his COVID-19 testing. He tweeted that day that he was “excited as hell to be back amongst the family like this.”

When Gordon’s comeback bid was halted, Carroll said he was not allowed to comment on any specifics of the receiver’s situation, including the nature of his setback.

“We’re not able to comment about any of it, really, other than to say that he’s still coming in, working out with our trainers, and getting his work done conditioning-wise,” Carroll said at the time. “We’ll revisit it again next week. Certainly disappointed not to have him for his sake and for a lot of things, but we’ll stay with it and we’ll see what happens next week.”

Asked how Gordon was handling the situation, Carroll said: “Very frustrated that he’s not out here. Frustrated by it.”

Gordon signed a one-year deal with the Seahawks before last season. He would become a free agent if he is reinstated by the NFL again.

Gordon’s attorney, Adam Kenner, confirmed to ESPN in June that Gordon’s 2019 suspension was the result of a setback he experienced after the death of his brother that fall. Gordon posted on social media on Nov. 11, 2019, the day he made his Seahawks debut, about losing his older brother.



Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Chicago Bears DE Mario Edwards Jr. suspended for first 2 games of 2021 season

Published

on

CHICAGO — Bears defensive end Mario Edwards Jr. has been suspended without pay for the first two games of the 2021 regular season for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances, the league announced Friday.

Edwards Jr. is no longer under contract with the Bears and will be a free agent in March. He will have to serve the suspension whenever he signs with a team but will be eligible to participate in preseason games and practices.

Edwards Jr. had a career-high four sacks while a member of the Bears in 2020.

The NFL is also investigating a legal issue involving Edwards Jr. that stemmed from an incident last year at a hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Edwards Jr., 26, was issued a criminal summons on a charge of misdemeanor assault on a female, according to a spokesperson for the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s Office in North Carolina in December.

A court date has not yet been set, but the summons arose from a situation at the Hilton Charlotte City Center hotel on Oct. 17, the night before the Bears played the Carolina Panthers.

Police documents said officers responded to reports of a woman hitting a man with her hand and scratching his forehead. Edwards and a woman both had bruises and scratches and both were listed as victims in the police report.

North Carolina court documents, obtained by TMZ, said the woman in question accused Edwards of hitting her in the eye and dragging her out of his hotel room after she began recording him during an argument. The woman stated that she was pregnant at the time of the attack and required hospitalization.

Peter Schaffer, Edwards’ agent, denied that his client was involved in any wrongdoing.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending