Connect with us

MESA, Ariz. — Seattle Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez left Monday’s spring game against the Chicago Cubs in the top of the second inning after being struck by a line drive.

Hernandez, 31, immediately grabbed his right forearm after getting hit by the line drive off the bat of Cubs catcher Victor Caratini. Trainers came out to attend to Hernandez, and he was taken to the Mariners’ facility for X-rays, which came back negative. He will be reevaluated Tuesday and is listed as day-to-day.

Hernandez missed considerable time last season with shoulder issues and struggled to a 4.12 ERA while compiling just 118 innings.

Last May, a line drive off the bat of Caratini struck Cardinals pitcher Daniel Poncedeleon in the head during a Triple-A game. Poncedeleon required emergency surgery to alleviate pressure on his brain, followed by a couple of weeks in intensive care in Des Moines, Iowa, and then three months of inactivity at home in Florida.

Poncedeleon returned to the mound Sunday, pitching two innings of three-hit, one-run ball for the Cardinals against the Houston Astros.

Source link

MLB

Washington Nationals re-signing Ryan Zimmerman to one-year, $1M deal, source says

Published

on

The Washington Nationals are re-signing Ryan Zimmerman to a one-year, $1 million contract, a source confirmed to ESPN.

Zimmerman opted out of the 2020 season because of concerns about his family’s safety amid the coronavirus pandemic but is set to play his 16th major league season, all with the Nationals.

Zimmerman’s future in Washington had been uncertain after the Nationals acquired Josh Bell to play first base, but general manager Mike Rizzo said last month that the team was open to bringing the 36-year-old back.

Zimmerman batted .257 with six home runs for the 2019 World Series champions.

USA Today first reported on Zimmerman’s return to Washington.

Source link

Continue Reading

MLB

Source — Jurickson Profar, San Diego Padres agree to 3-year, $21 million deal

Published

on

Jurickson Profar and the San Diego Padres are in agreement on a three-year, $21 million contract, a source familiar with the deal told ESPN’s Jeff Passan.

Profar continues to show his versatility as a true utilityman, having played five defensive positions for the Padres last season while seeing most of his action in left field and at second base. He hit a career-high .278 with seven home runs and 25 RBIs in 56 games during the pandemic-shortened season.

The 27-year-old continues to get on track offensively as he gets more playing time, something he didn’t have during his first six years after the top prospect was called up by the Texas Rangers in 2012. He got off to a horrible start during the 2020 season but compiled an .879 OPS over the final 43 games, hitting .331.

The Padres acquired Profar in a trade with the Oakland Athletics after the 2019 season, and he beat out Brian Dozier to win the starting job at second base. His slow start, however, led to Jake Cronenworth taking over at the position, but opportunity soon followed as Profar moved to left field after Tommy Pham was injured.

Overall, in seven major league seasons, Profar has a .238 batting average with 59 home runs and 222 RBIs with the Padres, Athletics and Rangers.

Source link

Continue Reading

MLB

Images from Hank Aaron’s chase for the career home run record

Published

on

Baseball Hall of Fame slugger Hank Aaron died Friday in his sleep. He was 86. The Mobile, Alabama, native is remembered as one of the greatest hitters of all time. He spent his entire adult life in baseball, as a player and in the Atlanta Braves’ front office. Take a look back at some of the greatest moments from his career, including the chase for his record-breaking 715th career home run.

Related: Aaron’s impact is measured in more than home runs


Related: Baseball world and beyond honor Hank Aaron


Source link

Continue Reading

Trending